The small frame home situated at 100 Rose Ave. has a great story and history.

This frame dwelling was moved in one day all during the daylight hours. It started from a place on Shadow Lake Farm just east of Musselman’s Lake to a site on Rose Avenue.

One can try to picture this move with the trailer and cottage all in tow. While on easy flat paved roads would have been the best route, try to image the house coming around Mussleman’s Lake at the very edge of the bank and road all around the Lake. As the trip may have been south on Ninth Line the series of tall hills would be a challenge if not the slope, the overhead wires. Thinking this through made the selected route an easy choice.

The route followed was to have a good overhead clearance and fewer hills. It took the big “caravan” from Ninth Line over to Ballantrae and down the Eight Concession (now Highway #48) to Ringwood, then into town. The total distance was nearly 10 miles.

The weather this March morning was the coldest seven days of the winter. Temperatures hovered around minus five below zero and ten below up at Shadow Lake. This land is the highest point between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe. It is 1100 feet above sea level. A fresh blanket of snow had fallen and made a blanket for the fields and meadows during the cold weather.

Mr. Jos. Harrison of Mount Albert was the moving contractor and did a quick and efficient job. The building was to be the main part of the new home for Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Williams of Shadow Lake Farm.

At the site of the cottages first location, it was just inside the stone gates at the Ninth Line up on a hill which had a beautiful view out over Shadow Lake. It is said the cottage was used by Lady Eaton for her personal use. She had purchased the property from Dr. Dales.

Lady Eaton had made this old farm into a special summer resort for the Eaton’s Girls Club (office girls) from Toronto. The cottage was built in 1923 by Mr. Fred Betz who had raised most of the outbuildings on the property including the community hall, the cookhouse and sleeping rooms or bungalows.

On the roof was a man to raise the telephone wires during the entire trip. Remember the telephone company at the time was Bethesda – Stouffville Telephone Company. It had been started by Mr. A. D. (Sandy) Bruce on September 18, 1905.

Mr. Del Jennings was one of the longtime employees for this company and his son Lloyd we are told was the man on the roof. He was 21 years old at the time. This was truly the ride of a Life Time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This