A York Regional Police (YRP) officer faces 30 charges related to drugs, weapons and robbery following a lengthy investigation into corrupt practices. A second officer is also among seven people charged.
In January, YRP launched an investigation into allegations that Const. Richard Senior may be involved in criminal activity. The investigation revealed the 44-year-old Markham resident was involved in the attempted armed robbery of a quantity of cocaine, the theft and illegal possession of a YRP shotgun, the trafficking of steroids to another officer, trafficking cocaine, interfering in the prosecution of provincial offence notices under the Highway Traffic Act, and the disclosing of confidential police information, police report.
A member of YRP for 14 years, Senior has worked in uniform patrol in Markham and most recently in the #5 District Community Oriented Response Unit. He is being held in custody and his scheduled to appear in court in Newmarket on Oct. 16. He will be suspended with pay should he be released.
A second YRP officer, Const. Timur Timerbulatov, 36, of Whitchurch-Stouffville, was charged with breach of trust and the unauthorized use of a computer not for a police purpose. A member of YRP since 2015 in #5 District uniform patrol, he has been suspended with pay.
“This is unacceptable criminal behavior that will not be tolerated by members of our organization. It is not a reflection on the dedicated, hard-working and extremely professional YRP members working together each and every day to keep our community safe,” Chief Eric Jolliffe said in a statement. “This was a difficult investigation, however, we are committed to upholding our values of integrity and accountability.”
• Catherine Petrolo, 36, of Toronto: obstruct justice and breach of trust by public officer
• Jean Christie, 68, of Quinte West: two counts of conspiracy to traffic cannabis marijuana, possession for the purpose of trafficking cannabis marijuana, two counts of possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition, two counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm and two counts of careless storage of a firearm.
• Sherry Wafer, 44, of Toronto: two counts of conspiracy to traffic cannabis marijuana.
• George Papoutsos, 43 of Richmond Hill: three counts of conspiracy to traffic steroids and three counts of trafficking steroids.
• Fabian Wills, 45, of Markham: utter forged document.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact Det. Sgt. Les Titleman at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 6049, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com.