From fridges to automobiles: Mole Motors was a booming business

Alfred Mole chose 5991 Main Street in Stouffville to open a garage for Mole Motors Limited. This was after he had a car business in Brampton in 1942.

His newly constructed two-bay garage included gas pumps on the north side of the building facing Main St. He was an agent for Dodge – DeSoto cars. He also carried Supertest gasoline and oils along with Dunlop tires and tubes. He opened the local garage in 1946. Mole had a small house on the south portion built during the summer of 1946 to house his mechanics.

Business was going well and a large extension was added to the south side of his modern garage and showroom in 1950. The 37 by 60-foot addition was fitted with extra-large doors to service trucks. When General Motors expected to be turning out Buicks in the spring of 1951, Mole, who became a Pontiac-Buck dealer, was looking ahead to increase trade in the added line, which had been out of production in Canada for the previous ten years (1941-1951).

He hired Roy Minton, the brother of Gordon ‘Polly’ Minton, one of the popular hockey players at the time, as his bookkeeper.

On Nov. 12, 1953, General Electric announced the opening of a location in Stouffville at Mole Motors Limited. Various GE electric appliances were on display in the showroom. The dealership also offered specials on refrigerators, washers, televisions, and electric stoves.

Mole passed away in his forties. He died at work while in conversation with one of his salesmen. The dealership was then sold to Neil Patrick in June of 1955 and was named Patrick Motors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This