This unique yellow brick 1 1/2-story residence located at 6633 Main St. has a long history.
The builder, Matthew Flint, was once a major carpenter, building most of the homes in the village of Stouffville in the 1870s.
One of his design features was the tall paired windows with a segmental arch. These are seen today on the street façade, which adds to the character and street appeal.
The enclosed porch has been added to enhance the living space and entrance to this home. It was likely a simple porch and rail at one time. The board and batten siding adds to the historical context of the home.
The location has been part of the industry centre for the village, as a blacksmith shop was set up on the west half of this property. William Roddick is thought to have had his first blacksmith shop here in 1846. John Bickerstaff, the shoemaker, was known to have a small shop here also. Just west of this was the Gibney foundry where Success plaza now sits.
Being situated on the south side of Main Street, it was formerly part of Markham Township known as Lot 35 Con 9. This would mean you paid taxes to the Township of Markham up until it became part of the Village of Stouffville, which happened in 1877. The prominent location has been a landmark as it was near the street and across from the entrance to Spring St. a terminus on the main road.
The deep lot still has a depth of 264 feet, which from the old maps once was measured as four chains. The property once was part of the lands purchased by David McKinnell of Scarborough. He had bought 3 ½ acres in 1867 for $850. In his will, McKinnel gave the lands to his wife, Elizabeth.
Henry Dickson was a native of Dumfriesshire, Scotland being born in 1835. He came to Canada at the age of 22. He was well trained in the trade of blacksmith. His first shop was in Pickering Village. He soon moved to Scarborough where he met his life partner, Kate McKinnell. She had come to Canada with her parents when she was only four years old.
When McKinnell passed away, his son-in-law Henry Dickson came to Stouffville to settle the estate. Instead of selling the property, he decided to set up his blacksmith shop here. He was able to raise a family of seven children, five boys and two girls.
Dickson passed away in 1923 leaving his home to his children, Walter, Bessie and Nellie. They continued to live in the homestead.
Photo: 6633 Main St. is one of the many homes built by Matthew Flint in the Village of Stouffville in the 1870s.