The plan builds on accomplishments of the first phase and includes updated goals and objectives for providing a coordinated approach to address housing affordability and reduce homelessness.
“Finding a complete range of housing options for our diverse communities remains a priority of York Regional Council,” said York Region Chairman and CEO Wayne Emmerson. “The updates made to Housing Solutions better addresses current housing needs and will provide flexibility to respond to new opportunities and challenges impacting our residents.”
The cost of housing continues to rise, and there is limited rental supply and affordable home ownership options. Preventing homelessness is crucial.
Goals contained in the updated plan include:
- Increase the supply of affordable and rental housing
- Enhance Regional Official Plan policies to direct substantial new growth in housing to areas well-served by transit and other key services
- Research programs to support affordable home ownership and identify potential partnership and pilot opportunities
- Begin construction of 100 new Housing York units in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
- Help people find and keep housing
- Provide temporary financial support through a Short Term Assistance for Renters Program
- Strengthen the housing and homelessness system
- Develop options to sustain existing rent subsidy programs after provincial funding arrangements end
- Develop an inventory of housing and homelessness supports for residents and case workers to improve system navigation