A Stouffville Landmark: Dr. Freel’s home

This 18-room Victorian mansion was located at 6212 Main St. for a long time. It was just east of Freel Lane on a large parcel of land close to creek.

The design was unique as it was very large and had a two-storey projecting bay flanked by a tall porch which ran across the entire front of the building. The porch was embellished with gingerbread and turned posts. The second floor was a walk out to a deck above the porch. This included a simple railing with heavy posts.

The east end of the building had a special brick extended two and half-storey wing. This portion had paired windows that were tall and slender decorated with a solider course in a contrast buff colour. The brick banding was across the building in three locations on the first floor over the windows, at the sill level in the upper floor and across the upper window headers like below.

The roof was massive as well with three gable peaks facing onto Main St. The two south peaks had gingerbread detailing with brackets.

When Dr. Sylvester Freel passed away in 1918, his nephew, Dr. Herbert Freel, inherited the property on Main St.

In 1948 Dr.H. Freel hired the architectural firm of Molesworth, Secord and Savage to design a new modern house. The Cap-Cod style home was 1 ½ stories. The contractor was W. J. “Jack” Buckles, one of his lead hands was Norman Couperthwaite. The job of the whole interior was torn down and the walls lowered and the structure completely changed in design.

This property has a deep history in the area of town. Abraham Stouffer settled here with his family. Next was Edward Wheler’s home from 1851 until the 1870s. Some think that this may have been the brick home of Mr. Wheler as he was living in a two-storey brick home in 1861.

Photo: 6212 Main Street, Dr. Freel home. Photo courtesy of Whitchurch Museum 998.14.120.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This