The property has a long history, being on the prominent corner of Church St. South and Main St. The lot was included in the first town survey, done by David Gibson in 1826. It was known as Lot 3 Plan 51 B for the south side of Main St.
Robert Stewart, an early settler, located on the lot. He lived in a frame building, which is shown on the 1855 village map. Mr. Stewart was a butcher and had his shop located in the building.
Thomas Dougall, an early photographer, was the next resident at the location. He is listed on the first village tax roll as age 37 and owning one acre of land worth $1500. He was also the town constable. His main task was to chase thieves and stop robbery. Dougall also served on the Board of Health in 1888 and 1889.
One Halloween, the local boys set him up. Two boys made it look like they were up to no good to distract Constable Dougall away. He was giving chase, while their friends swooped in and took his front gate, which they then marched up to the school lane.
In the early days, a drugstore, operated by Dr. Rowan, adjoined the place. Living upstairs at the same time was John Booth, a photographer, likely a hired hand for Dougall.
Frederick Lorne Button was the next owner. He purchased it in 1913 and had the frame building removed to built the new brick residence we see today. But it has gone through some changes over the years.
Button, born in Markham Township in 1879, was one of two sons of John R. Button and Alma Alberta Jones. His early schooling was on 9th Line and, later, in the Ringwood Union School when his family moved to Ringwood. Button was awarded a university degree in law from Osgoode Hall as an honour student in 1902. His career in town was with G. Smith MacDonald. Later, in partnership, he was with solicitors Lennox & Lennox. From 1906 until 1910 Mr. Button carried on alone. His next partnership was with James McCullough.
Button was active at the Stouffville United Church. He was also active in sports in town and was a founding member of the Lawn Bowling Club. He also enjoyed hunting and fishing with trips away each year with his friends. Button was a supporter of hockey and baseball in the village, at one time leading the intermediate ball club.
The architectural style is Edwardian, which is about square shaped buildings. It also, originally, had short columns on the brick porch, as seen in an early photo. A late addition is the office entrance to the law firm. The building will remain a familiar landmark on this corner for some time.