Back in the early days a reeve was the same as a mayor today. The home at 93 O’Brien Ave. was the home of Reeve Amos Lehman.

Lehman was born May 8, 1863, in Cedar Grove, to his parents Benjamin and Anna Grove. His background was of Pennsylvania German pioneer stock.

He apprenticed in the boot and shoe business at the age of 14. Lehman went to Huron County to a village of Blake. After spending two years as apprenticeship there he went to Michigan to spend a further three years learning the art of making shoes.

Lehman was married to Fanny Hoover on Jan. 6, 1892. They had five children. With his family beginning to grow, Lehman had a home built on O’ Brien Ave. at #93. This was part of Plan 1073 lot 6, it was formerly part of a Park Lot. It was a time when O’Brien Ave. was extended further south.

Lehman started a business here in the village of Stouffville in 1896 in the east half of the funeral home. In 1901, he purchased the building just east of the clock tower. He remained here until 1919, the last year of the war. He then bought the brick store across the street and stayed there for the next few years. The brick store was built by Mr. Sam and Jake Burkholder, the upper storey was used for a Masonic Hall and a residence.

He was a man who took an active conscientious part in the affairs of church and state. He was a member and church official in the old Methodist church. He endeavoured to live a true life of a Christian in his daily activities.

Lehman had an outstanding municipal career. He served as a councillor for eight years from 1914 to 1921 inclusive. In 1922, he received an acclamation for reeve. After this term of one year, he retired from council. Lehman always took his duties seriously and when faced with a decision that might mean popularity to vote a certain way it never affected him. He would always choose the path which he believed was right irrespective of popular opinion.

When Lehman was made reeve in 1922 his council was Fred Silversides, Alex. Scott, W. E. Morden and George Lee. Lehman was able to conclude a final settlement with the Carnegie Library Corporation by receiving an amount of $6,000 for the new library which was built at that time. There was a lot of discussion about finding a site for this library in town.

Throughout his career, he built up a reputation for integrity and honest dealing. He died in February 1936. He was buried in the Wideman Cemetery where many of his ancestors found their last resting place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share This