Author: Fred Robbins, Stouffville Historian

From fridges to automobiles: Mole Motors was a booming business

Alfred Mole chose 5991 Main Street in Stouffville to open a garage for Mole Motors Limited. This was after he had a car business in Brampton in 1942. His newly constructed two-bay garage included gas pumps on the north side of the building facing Main St. He was an agent for Dodge – DeSoto cars. He also carried Supertest gasoline and oils along with Dunlop tires and tubes. He opened the local garage in 1946. Mole had a small house on the south portion built during the summer of 1946 to house his mechanics. Business was going well and...

Read More

6465 Main St.     

Tannery Lot east side, part of Plan51. This home was referred to as the “Flint home”. It was built c.1875 for John B. Flint the son of George Flint. The Flint Foundry was next door. The foundry was where the famous revolving horse –rake was manufactured. It could pull and thresh green peas in a single operation. What a technological advance! This piece of agricultural equipment was the winner of first prize at the Provincial Exhibition, 1868. John B. Flint was the son of George and Mary Rose (Teed) Flint. He was born in Rochester, New York on July...

Read More

Killed in Action

Part Two for Summitview Public School history “Killed in Action” were words used in 1917 about the Stouffville Boys who gave their lives in the Great War. The boys were former students at Summitview when it was called Stouffville Public and Continuation School. The village of Stouffville was well connected and the grief was felt by a large community of people, some related and some neighbours. It was a very sad day when those words were said. The boys who volunteered for the front faced hard times early on in the war. Private Thomas Egbert “Bert” Trull, died in...

Read More

Who were the owners of McDonald house?

This is an overview of the McDonald family home on Church St. The first owner Hugh McDonald Sr. was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1828 and his wife Margaret (Fraser) McDonald was born in Inverness in 1827. In 1881, they came to Stouffville and took charge of the Wheler farm which they managed until most of it was sold, in the form of village lots (this was the west end of the village). The McDonald family initially built a home which became 51 William St. in 1889 for Fred Spofford. Their home at 115 Church St. was also built...

Read More

Summitview Public School celebrates 100 years in current building

Part 1 in a series. The one room school belongs to an era in Canadian life that has largely vanished. The school was part of the community woven into the lives down through each generation. In the early days of Stouffville, schools are mentioned both on the Markham Township (south side) and Whitchurch Township (north side). Summitview has had many generations attend this school, possibly grandpa and grandma or even other older generations. The extended “family” of the school community consisted of trustees, caretakers, teachers and classmates. All were from the local village of Stouffville. They helped to build...

Read More

Calendar of Events

  1. Latcham Gallery

    January 13 - February 24
  2. Masters of Illusion

    February 1 - February 4
  3. 19 on the Park

    February 10

Sponsors

Follow Us